From:
"Tim Crawford (GI4OPH)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:53:15 -0000
I think another point worthy of consideration here is safety.  Especially
when dealing with crank-up towers, and heavy masts in general which have the
potential to cause serious injury or worse if something goes wrong.

Therefore it's quite important that amongst those providing assistance there
should  be at least one person having some knowledge and experience in this
area.

Certainly here in the UK, owing to a number of reasons, not least planning
restrictions the number of hams who have any type of radio mast are I would
think very much in the minority.

Although there is a local club here, surfise to say, they have a reputation
for not being all that welcoming to anyone outside a certain little cleek.

Not sure why, possibly some changing trend in social habits, folks having
less leasure time in general, but help seemed more readily available 20
years ago.

Anyway, I know a couple of really good experienced guys, trouble is, they
live around 1 hours drive away, so don't like to bug them too often smile!

Best 73,

Tim.

Bangor, N. Ireland.

Skype:  tim-crawford