Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:43:30 -0700
Sender:
From:
Diane Heath <[log in to unmask]>
I am appreciating the Loren Cordain videos, following the reading of his first book.  What a brilliant mind and dedicated researcher!  I will be requesting his "Paleo Diet Cookbook" (which will keep things interesting) for my local library, as well as "The Paleo Answer" (which gets many good reviews on Amazon).

I wanted to submit a comment from a friend of mine, re. the video from a month ago.  This woman works in the in the medical/scientific community and has a huge career behind her, and she enjoyed the Loren Cordain video from a month
ago, posted by Keith, as well.  (I'm encouraging her to join this discussion group.)

"Yes, I think there is a lot of good info here which is useful.  Agree with grass fed meats, organic foods, etc, he is certainly right about those.
      However, I still stand by what I said before:  The ancestral gene in humans is APOE-4 which earlier humans carried two copies of.  (The recent predominant gene is two copies of APOE-3 which just evolved a few thousand years ago and which most people have now.)
     The APOE-4 gene is powerful and has systemic effects on the nervous system and the body, and is very sensitive to diet, pollutants, and dietary lipid intake.  It is not considered a favorable gene in modern civilization.
      The APOE-3 gene is much more favorable to the nervous system and to longevity these days, and apparently is more forgiving of modern diet, toxins, etc.  People with the ancestral APOE-4 gene are the "canaries" in modern civilization.
   Remember that I said the "Iceman" found in the Tyrolean Alps, certainly followed a Paleolithic diet, was active and slim, probably had two copies of APOE-4, died at about age 46, and was full of atherosclerosis/coronary heart disease---in spite of his Paleolithic diet.
     I believe that evolutionary pressures can change genetic makeup at great speed among humans."

I don't know much about APOEs but thought it very interesting!

Best regards and thanks for the paleo inspirations,
Diane Heath