From:
Neil Timms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 07:08:29 +0800
I lack the time to read all the Reason.com articles for now but the
first link "big-fat-lie" was with my limited experience not
criticizing the Taubes article that I had read but some distortion of
it. I read through to Taubes's comment in reply as well which has
unsurprisingly more exact detail. Fumento seemed to bang on about
unlimited fat diets yet after all my time around paleo ideas (some
years) I'm not aware of any advocacy of unlimited high fat diets. I'm
also used to nutrition "researchers" confusing any fat (usual poly)
with fat in the ratios (un, mono, poly) that our predecessors might
have had access to.

One thing I understand about a high fat intake is that is is self
limiting - hard to eat too much fat and still be hungry - anyway this
has been my experience with a low carb diet - years gone by I used to
be a 3 meals a day and snacks between and supper at night - now that
I'm low carb, usually two meals (and not always that) and little if
any snacking, and I keep myself active and busy.

Regarding salt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_lick - i r an
animal too and if i was around a few tens of thousands of years ago
then i expect that I would have known where to find my dinner - at the
salt lick. One way or another it seems that animals want and need salt
to function. It is unclear to me that the current industrialized
agriculture system can output food containing an appropriate balance
of nutrients for my well being.

Cheers

Neil

--