From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:12:21 -0600
While I have previously used the full size Carolina Windom 80 from
RadioWorks in two installations, and would do so again if necessary, I
am not a fan of their "compact" series of antennas.

In addition to the issues that Tom had with his, I know at least two
others in my area who also had problems with them. Both of these
individuals were trying to use the 67 foot model on 80 meters. The
short story is, it just didn't work even when tried with the average
manual tuner.

One possible solution is the Alpha Delta DXCC. At 82 feet in length,
this antenna is a compromise on 80 meters, but it does work there
within a somewhat narrow bandwidth. From 40 meters up, it works much
better. I think Tom also has this antenna.

There is a shorter version of this antenna that only covers 40 meters
and above. In this case, of course, 40 meters is the most compromised
band.

If you absolutely don't want to work 80 meters, another possibility is
to use a full size 40 meter dipole that is fed with 450 ohm ladder
line. When used through a balun, most of the external automatic tuners
will tune this antenna through 10 meters. Some internal tuners will
tune it too, but in either case, there will be some places where it
will not tune well if at all. It should, however, offer screaming
performance on 40 and 20 meters, and do okay for the most part on the
higher bands.

Regarding the G5RV series, I have never used the G5RV Junior, but I've
also never heard what I considered to be a good signal come out of
that antenna.

With anybody's G5RV model, *always add water proofing sealer of some
kind at the junction between the twin lead and the balun. Unless they
have changed, RadioWorks tends to not supply enough sealer.

Finally, when reading the ads for anybody's shortened antenna,
remember that there is absolutely no free lunch. Thus, if it sounds
too good to be true, guess what.

Mike Duke, K5XU