From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:29:27 -0500
David,

I'm prejudiced towards Kenwood, and currently have 3 in the shack.
For my money they offer the most in speech output and good performance.

Folks on this list have a wide variety of rigs: some with full speech,
some with minimal speech, and some with no speech.   Part of your choice
will depend on  how much effort you want to put into making something
suit your particular needs.   If you have sighted help, or want to use
the pc to do things, it will widen your options.   Most modern rigs are
menu intensive, and while many are set and forget types, you need to
keep  that in mind.

For what it's worth, the term "speech processing" refers to adding some
punch to your transmit audio so it sounds louder to the other station.
  So if you see "speech processor in the specs for a rig, it has nothing
to do with accessibility.   "Speech output", "voice output", etc.  are
what refer to  the radio's ability to speak and tell you what is going on.

73,  good luck on HF, Steve KW3A"