From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:45:04 -0500
Mike,

I owned an R1000 for a couple of years, and it's a very nice receiver.
It's quite easy to use, has good stability, and sounds good, especially
if you connect your favorite external speaker. It has one unusual
feature that I really liked: You can optionally set it up so that the
Wide position opens out to around 12.5 KHz, which is great for listening
to AM broadcast in really good fidelity. This is accomplished by
changing a small jumper on the PC board, but it's quite easy to do. The
"band" switch is actually a 1 MHz stepper, which makes it easy to
estimate where you are by counting the clicks. It also has a clock and
timer which a blind person can set, but I haven't had that receiver for
almost thirty years so I don't remember the details of how to do it. I
just know that at the time, I did it successfully without sighted
assistance.

Steve