From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2011 06:18:59 -0500
I've never participated in the O M I S S group, but I was active on
the 3905 Century Club in the mid 1980s.

One of my rigs at the time was a Yaesu FT7, the original model which
ran more or less 10 watts out. I decided to see if I could get an 80
meter Worked All States award with that rig, and used that net as an
easy way to almost do it.

When I was interrupted by a move into an apartment, I had 45 states
worked just on their 75 meter net. I was only missing Alaska, Hawaii,
Montana, Nevada, and Wyoming. Before I sold the FT7, I picked up the
others accept for Alaska during weekend visits with my mom.

This was before computers, electronic Braille note takers, etc, so all
of the logs were done with Perkins and paper.

I kept a conventional log, along with a second sheet which listed one
contact from each state I had worked. I would update that second list
once each week or so as the QSL cards arrived.

My sister, who began filling out QSL cards for me when I was a Novice
in 1969, continued doing so until I married in 2002. The Century Club
net, which began originally as a way to work all states using the
special bi-centennial call signs, just about worked her to death.

As I approached the end of the W A S list with the FT7, I began the
same project using a Heath HW12. That attempt was also disrupted by
the move before it got beyond a dozen or so states, but it was fun
while it lasted.

Through most of the 1970s, I collected ten ten numbers on 10 meters. I
kept a card file, with a card reflecting the initial contact with each
new number. At about the time I filled the third shoebox size card
file, the 10 meter paper chase went completely crazy, with almost
every chapter of 10x offering some kind of award, their own numbers,
etc. That's when I decided I was spending more time doing ham radio
paperwork than I was with actual operating, so I gave up that chase.

Mike Duke, K5XU