From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:20:29 -0700
Probably I am not ready for them just yet.  I gave OWX a shot, and
nothing I could do would get it to work for me on a Mac.  I think you
said there was a Windows build somewhere, but I could not find it.
If it is out there, it would require the whole Cygwin environment
because the code pretty much assumes Linux and does not bother to
check for anything else.

I did get CHIRP to work, but it runs under X11 on the Mac.  On the
plus side, that means I could configure it to talk by installing the
appropriate accessibility components.  Might as well, the runtime
includes Perl, two versions of Python, TCL/TK, GTK+, Pango, and
basically the greater part of a full Linux desktop.  Yeesh.

What these two projects have going for them is that CHIRP works and
is written in pretty basic and understandable Python, and OWX is far
more complete and written in pretty basic C++.

This afternoon, I’ve already got a fairly robust bit of code to
detect a Wouxun radio connected to any serial port in an enumerated
list of acceptable ports.  At the moment, I’m borrowing that list of
ports wholesale from CHIRP, so it’s basically variations on
/dev/cu.usbserial for the Mac and a whole bunch of device names for
Linux.  I haven’t forgotten about Windows, but I’m not there yet.

I’ve dumped the Wouxun memory to my screen, but not actually parsed
it yet.  I found (yet another) IOKit bug to do with USB devices in
the process.  In fact, I think this is the same bug Florent Pillet
and I reported to Apple seven years ago.  *sigh*  In fact, I think
Florent actually sent them a PATCH!  Winning the future, Apple!

Right now the code is Python because I am prototyping.  Were it just
for me, the code would remain in Python.  It is actually pretty easy
to make Python "binaries" for Windows, but the GUI is usually not
going to be accessible that way.  Nope, I am going to have to port
this to C at some point, once I am satisfied that I have a robust
means of talking to the HT.

I may not have time to work on it for a week or so.

Joseph - KF7QZC