From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:44:19 -0600
well, check on the internet to see what the feed point impedance for that
sort of loop would be.
Then, bassed on using the latter line, or twin lead, which ever you have,
you can figure out if you need a balun or not.
I've heard of  G5rv's with both 300 ohm twin lead, and 450ohm latter line.
I don't see a problem with disconnecting the feed line from the G5RV, and
reconfiguring it into a loop.  Then, you could use regular 50ohm coax to
feed it...I don't now remember, but a loop has a high feed point impedance I
believe, so you might need to use a balun.
By my calculations, a 102 foot g5rv, in a loop, would allow you the lowest
operating frequency of 9.85MHZ.
So you would be good from 30M and up.
You might be able to get 40M if you use your latter line as part of the
antenna.
Also, and you may want to check, but I don't think you want to have any of
your loop angles to be sharper than 60 degrees on the inside of the turn.
So if it's a diamond shape, some of your inside turns might be sharper than
60 degrees.
I think the tightest loop is a delta loop which has 3 60 degree inside
turns...I remember reading that if the loop has sharper turns than that, it
no longer functions like a proper loop antenna and you start running into
SWR, feed point impedance and odd lobe issues.

73
Colin, V A6BKX