From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 15:35:37 -0600
I've got one of those color detecters too, the cobolt.
I have had extremely limited success trying to identify wire colors with any
sort of solid or neutral background...i've tried black background, white
background, grey, brown, a bunch of different backgrounds.
I think part of the issue with the cobolt is that the mouth of the device,
where you place the item to be color identified, is very large...and it is
difficult to get really tight focus on the lense.
Also, allot of wires these days will have a strip of color on a solid
colored insulator background that indicates the apparent "color" of the
wire.  So, unless the lense is positioned directly over that strip, it'll
just say black, or gray or what ever color the wire or background happens to
be.
I had another color identifier years ago that was probably ten times more
accurate and useful for this kind of thing than the cobolt...I don't
remember the maker, but it was also about a quarter the size compared to the
cobolt...
the lense could be tightly focused on a small item, and it also told you
saturation, hugh and so on if you wanted.
Of course, it was around $500 I think which is also much much more than the
cobolt unit.
I haven't tried the color identifier function on my nokia phone for getting
wire colors yet...the camera lense can be tightly focused so perhaps that
might work better.
73
Colin, V A6BKX