From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:55:00 -0600
I don't think ham radio is dying, at least not in my area.
There are more people putting in mobile HF rigs, more people on VHF and UHF
and more people setting up home stations than there has been in probably 25
years.
Allot of young people live in apartments, or condo's or townhouses where HF
antennas just aren't an option no matter how they try to skin the cat.
So, allot of them are getting an 857, or a 7000 to put in the vehicle as
both their 2M/440 radios and as an HF radio...allot of guys around here have
a mount on the vehicle for the HF antenna, and put it on when they wish to
use HF.
There is gaining interest here in DStar as we have a brand new full 3 band
DStar repeater with excellent coverage.
We have allot of community events through the local club as well that allot
of people are interested in.
So, I think the idea of radio as an end, as aposed to a means to an end is a
good description.  most of the new hams got their licenses because of the
possibilities of ham radio as aposed to the ability, or means to simply
communicate with others.
being able to communicate with someone half way around the world just
doesn't have the magic it did before the internet and cell phones became
part of pop culture.
But, experimentation and tinkering and trying new things still does hold
that magic for allot of people who have the interest.
That's why I think more emphasis needs to be put on the
experimental/theoretical aspect of this hobby, rather than the old
tradditional emphasis on being able to talk to a guy on some pacific island
or something...that's as easy as a click of a mouse and an internet
connection.

anyway, sorry to regurgitate some of the other comments, but I feel much as
Buddy does about this stuff.

73
Colin, V A6BKX