Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:35:06 -0400
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Sky Yardley wrote:

> In the meantime, I read Neanderthin and really didn't care for the author's
> tone and attitude and some blatant misinformation...but I still think it's
> a good idea.

Opinions will vary about the tone of the book, and I don't
suppose there's much point in discussing it, but if there is
misinformation then that is something that *should* be discussed.

> Type As could be vegetarians if they wanted to but can
> also thrive on poultry and seafood (as opposed to red meat).  Just an
> example.

I guess I will have to read this book.  I am an A-type myself.  I
have been eating a ton of red meat on NeanderThin, and enjoying
it very much.  I don't care much for seafood, despite growing up
in Rhode Island, where it's everywhere.  I enjoy poultry.  In
fact, I've been eating little else for the past few days, since I
bought and broiled a giant "value pack" of chicken drumsticks.
Since the Zone and NeanderThin diets have worked so well for me,
I clearly have some degree of insulin resistance.  I don't know
if this is correlated with any of the blood types in D'Adamo's
theory, but I guess I should investigate further.

> I think it is interesting that the Blood Type and the Zone theories back up
> the Paleo-eating theory.

To some extent these theories are *compatible* with each other, I
guess.  What the Zone has in common with NeanderThin is the same
as what it has in common with other low-carb diets: restriction
of carbohydrate intake.  Beyond that, the two programs are
radically different, since the Zone still uses a
restricted-calorie "thermodynamic" approach, which NeanderThin
rejects.

More interesting is the possible conjunction of NeanderThin and
the Blood Type theory.  Since a basic premise of NeanderThin is
that the body's immune response to "alien proteins" is the cause
of various health problems, it would be important to know whether
one's blood type serves to predict which classes of proteins are
likely to be problematic.

Todd Moody