ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:07:13 -0600
Feature Writer Alena Roberts - Clinical Trials for a European
Artificial Retina Come to the US
Throughout my life, I've had multiple doctors tell me that they think
that my vision will be restored in my life time. The research into
artificial retinas in the last five years has made me think that this
might actually be true. Earlier this month, the European Union
authorized the use of the Argus II, a retinal implant that was
developed here in the states. This implant uses an external camera to
provide images of the person's surroundings. More exciting though, in
my opinion, is the announcement that the Wills Eye Institute will be
conducting clinical trials of the Sub-retinal implant that was
developed in Germany.
Unlike the Argus II, the sub-retinal implant does not require an
external camera to work because the implant is behind the retina. This
implant also has over 1500 photo cells, which means that the images
the patient sees are clearer. This number is nowhere near the number
of photo cells that the human eye has, but it's a step in the right
direction.
According to Retinal Implant A.G.'s website, here are some of the
benefits that patients might get from the implant:
Orientation in space
Visual Field between 8 and 12 degrees
Ability to read without visual aids except reading glasses, at least
recognizing someone holding two fingers, and recognizing faces
Ability to recognize letters with additional visual aids
These benefits may seem small to some, but for those of us who have
lived without usable vision for many years, this is huge. I myself
miss reading the most, and although I enjoy reading Braille, I miss
being able to enjoy a bookstore or library. I sometimes struggle with
whether I want my vision to be restored. A part of me has very much
accepted my blindness, but there is a part of me that misses being
able to see someone smile or watch a sunset. I think that those of us
who have lost our vision rather than never had it, have a harder time
deciding whether they would ever want their vision restored if the
option was available. At this point, I think I would be a part of a
clinical study if it was available to me. I would like to hear from
readers about their thoughts on this implant and restoring vision.
If you live in the Philadelphia area or think that you might be a
candidate for the upcoming clinical trial I encourage you to contact
the Wills Eye Institute.
To learn more about the Wills Eye Institute visit this link:
http://www.willseye.org/
To learn more about Retinal Implant AG visit this link:
http://www.retina-implant.de/en/about/default.aspx

Remember to count your blessings and thank the Lord who bestowed them upon
you.