BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Telepathic chickenf leave no tracef. Turkey lurky goo-bye!
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 08:01:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/98 5:25:33 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> . if you go to the bank on Valley and cooper; look directly across the
street;

>  thats where the Acme was;

Michael:

Gosh, I feel like you are my neighbor (even though in a time warp!).  You know
all the ins and outs of my town.  I love the kid's perspective on pathways
through the backyards -- I used to do the same thing.  It was always more
interesting than walking on sidewalks.  Only once did a testy old guy (Mr.
McGregor?) come out and tell us to stop using his vegetable garden as a route
home from school.  Poor sport.

By the way, here's a reply I received from another Michael -- a former planner
with the township who is incredibly knowledgeable on lots of arch. history,
but especially on Montclair. I thought you might enjoy it.

Mary
Subj:    Re: Fwd: 1950s supermarkets
Date:   5/4/98 9:34:50 AM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Michael La Place)
To:     [log in to unmask] (MDK10)

Hi Mary!
The old market in Upper Montclair is now occupied by CVS and some other
tenants.
The exterior has been altered over the years and I don't remember seeing a
photo
of it in its original condition but maybe the Planning Board files hold some
clues.  The painting that I installed in the second floor hallway of Town
Hall,
just outside the Planning department entrance, shows a view of Bonds ice
cream.
The view is from Cooper Avenue, looking west towards Valley Road.  You can see
the
giant milkshake cup on the roof!  I think an excellent example which still
exists
in Montclair and is still being used as a food market is the Fresh Fields
building
on Bloomfield Avenue.  I did soome research on it when the Fresh Fields site
plan
was before the Planning Board (1995?).  It was a Grand Union or Food Fair,
can't
remember which, but I believe it was a Philadelphia company.  There is a file
in
the Planning Dept. archives - the original Planning Board application, Mike Z.
can
locate it.  I remember looking at the original drawings which I think were
from
1939 or 40.  I sent copies to Fresh Fields at the time of their PB review and
they
agreed to restore the glass block tower and to place signage in roughly the
same
locations as the original market's signs (on the front marquee and the tower).
It
makes me sad to think of the Lambertville Acme - it has been stripped of its
outer
"skin."