BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew DIAZ" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 17:45:55 -0400
Ken Follett wrote:

> In a message dated 9/4/98 12:00:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > For me there's a certain dread...the fear of
> >  being out in the woods with a bunch of guys I'd rather not be out in the
> > woods with...not the boys, the adults.
>
>  I believe that adults who are not very leadership oriented in
> their real lives tend to get into scouting so that they can act important.

Thanks Ken, as I've pretty much gotten my head around the idea that when Joh is
old enough I'll volunteer.

>  The other
> problem I had was dealing with illiterates, you have to be really careful
> about what words you use. You go on a campout and the other adults talk about
> fixing their cars, life as a security guard, and how the other guy they are
> tenting with either snores or farts too much.

Frankly, I believe that anyone who can work on a car anymore is a rocket
scientist.

> The food, I think, stinks on purpose.

Ken, I've eaten w/ you- when did you stop wiping your mouth on your sleeve??

> Regardless, I think all the crap is good for the kids and helps to build
> character.

The single thing, most important to me, that the BSA taught me is to do something
different-Tying knots, whipping ropes, building fires & eating frogs and bugs are
all experiences that have stood me in at least as good stead as conjugating French
verbs.
The second important thing the BSA taught me is that maybe applying to West Point,
as was my preadolescent plan, was not such a good idea.