From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:06:44 -0400
Dave,

I didn't reply earlier since I'm neither a PSK nor JAWS geek, but
figured I'd throw this out for what  it's worth.  Probably not much.

Digitalk is a free psk program for the blind.  It is self voicing.  It
has few options, is kind of basic and crude, but does work on a Windows
98 pc.    It stopped working in some early incarnation of XP, after some
  Windows update or service pack release.  The author has no interest in
redoing the software for more modern operating systems.

Digipan is another free program that some of us have played around with
over the years.  It's main problem with JAWS is that it repeats each
word in a sentance as the next word is added.  This becomes a royal
pain.  Using the JAWS cursor is one way around this, but I find it
cumbersome.  I had very limited success in setting the rx font to a
super high number. Perhaps getting each word on it's own line is what
stopped the repetition.    problem is that it didn't work all the time,
was not repeatable, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to when
or why it would work.

Another option is to read the article on the link below.  This all seems
a bit much and I'll wait until someone comes up with something a bit
less complicated.

www.HamRadioAndVision.com.

Look for the link that says something like "screen reader access to
digital modes".

My personal digital preference is RTTY which I do with the free MMTTY
software and JAWS.    With some trial and error I got a JAWS frame
around the  received text window and got JAWS to read it fairly well.
Maybe something similar would work with Digipan or one of the other
programs.  Or perhaps the idea of  sending text from the digi program to
some other program that JAWS will read well.  (On the order of what the
guy in the article is doing).

73, Good luck, Steve KW3A