From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 18:04:36 -0700
I like to say DStar is echolink with better audio hi hi.
Except you have to use a radio with DStar, much like IRLP, and most unlike
echo stink.
I'm still trying to find out weather the Icom programming software gives the
user access to all the DStar info to be programmed into the radio.
that's allot of the battle right there.
With DStar the station and repeater you are receiving pops up on the radio's
display...along with tag information and city state country and so on.
Each DStar user can input a personal message into his radio that will be
sent out when he keys the mike...all other users on his gateway, or
repeater, or whom ever he may be talking to on simplex will have that info
pop up on their screen.
This information is supplementary really, so not too important to have
spoken or accessible if it isn't possible.
But getting the rig set up initially to access DStar and putting all your
own call and location information in is what is tricky without audio
feedback from the radio.
The DV dongal allows you to access gateways, and any repeaters that are
connected to those gateways, so it's a little limiting that way.
Also, I'm not sure if its the basic dongal that does it, or if you have to
buy additional gear, but you can set up a dongal on your computer, then use
a conventional radio to transmit and receive DStar activity from your
dongal.
I think they call it a DStar hub or something...sort of like an echolink or
IRLP simplex link.
73
Colin, V A6BKX