ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Dunse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 09:52:54 -0500
I'd never go back to a flip phone or one with tactile buttons. Remember too,
the screen reader on it is free with the phone and not a 3rd party add-on.
It is engineered from Apple.

There is a book from National Braille Press that gives the ins and outs of
the iPhone, depending on what model you got. I would say this for sure,
based off what I know the newest iPhone 5 to be, I'd not go for the latest
and greatest. The iPhone 4S using the latest operating system 6.0 is nearly
as good. The new phone is a little faster, but I have no issue doing
whatever I want with the 4S.

SIRI is a huge help for setting reminders, alarms, appointments, etc. You
can even ask her what the NFL standings are and she'll read the entire
league off.

I think these days, you can get an iPhone 4S for maybe $150-$200 with a
phone plan. You'll need to figure in a data plan as well and likely a text
plan.

There are so many apps you can get for it. Some I have are DigitEyes to read
bar codes on cans if I need, Navigon GPS, Money reader to read what dollar
bill denominations you have, VisWiz  which you can take a picture of
something and send it to a live volunteer to tell you what something says.
I've used this for reading a tape measure, covers of books and DVDs, etc.

There are others like Read2Go from BookShare which I don't have that one
yet, iBlink Radio from the Serotek folks with podcasts galore and radio
stations, I've got one called iBird for bird watching, another one for
listening to any football game I want, of course Skype and such.  Another
one that is a color identifier. You name it and you can probably find an app
that does it. Not all are free but many are and most do not cost tons. A few
like DigitEyes, Navigon and etc. are spendy, but worth it for me personally.

I absolutely look at my iPhone as more an accessibility tool than a phone or
toy of convenience as many sightlings do.

My 2 cents.

Brad