From:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:08:20 +0000

More responses....
============
One's ability to have celiac sprue depends on your genes-- although they haven't figured it all out yet, there are certain genes that are present in virtually all cases of people who have celiac sprue.  Thus, the theory that certain genes are necessary to make one vulnerable to acquiring celiac sprue-- however, the genes alone are not sufficient for the disease.  A person can have the genes and have no problem with gluten his/her entire life.  Or a person can have the genes and be born with celiac sprue.  Or a person can have the genes and at some point in their life start reacting to gluten.  (It is believed that once you start reacting to gluten, you will always react to gluten.)
There are also certain genes that are associated with gluten intolerance, and other genes that are gluten friendly.  Less is known about what is gluten intolerance-- some people say they feel better not eating gluten, some people get very ill yet they are told they don't have celiac sprue... there seems to be a wide range of experiences and to date there has been little research into what gluten intolerance means.  Does it mean you have problems digesting gluten?  Is there an autoimmune component (apparently it isn't in the small intestine if there is, as is the case with celiac sprue)?  An allergic component of some sort?  Research, people, we need research!!! Anyway, long story short, my understanding is that if you want to know whether your child can develop celiac sprue, you should have her genes tested.  Our family had ours tested at Enterolab.
===================
Celiac is a genetic auto-immune disorder. Intolerance can be merely a reaction to the fact that wheat used to be2% gluten and is now14%. one does not preclude the other. She can only get manifest Celiac if she has the gene for it and meets up with the yet unidentified trigger, perhaps a particular virus. She can be intolerant without the genes and/or celiac. Intolerances change. Having celiac is for life.
The last I heard about it is that new research showed (google The Wall St. Journal on the topic, there was a good article printed in there) that the two are different.  They share many of the same symptoms, but in gluten intolerance, there appears to be no gut damage. You still have fatigue, stomach pain, bloating, muscle aches, and many other problems, but they are just in the early stages of understanding how to test for it and diagnose it.
Have you read Dr. Fasano's research on the "gluten-spectrum"? Seems like it does exist. Also, my (also celiac) daughter sent me this quote today: "*The single most important risk factor for celiac disease is having a first-degree relative ** with already-defined celiac disease, particularly a sibling. A rate up to 20% or more has been noted.*
Please see our 2nd Quarter 2011 newsletter for a helpful chart on Gluten Intolerance. It is on Page 4 of at:
http://www.celiacdisease.net/newsletter   If you are interested in further understanding of Gluten Sensitivity, that was our feature article in the Fall 2010 edition.
You might want to contact Better Control of Health. They are the people with the at-home screening kits for Celiac Disease and food intolerance.  They have helped my family greatly over the years and have provided us with much information.  Their web site is www.bettercontrolofhealth.com<http://www.bettercontrolofhealth.com>. I am sure they can answer your questions.