From:
Dave Marthouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:38:45 -0500
Hi Linda,

Greetings and welcome to the list and the world of amateur radio.  I have
been an amateur since 1978 and I love it.  It's as exciting and interesting
to me as it was when I started.

To answer your questions, yes you can set up a station on vhf/uhf
frequencies with a hand-held portable or a mobile rig with power supply and
antenna.  Some people even operate what is called hf or high frequencies
from a condo or apartment.

There are loads of variations on how you can enjoy ham radio.

As far as teaching aids you can contact HandiHams.  I don't have their web
address off hand but they have a whole bunch of accessible resources to
learn the necessary material to get your license.

The folks on this list are great with loads of experience in the hobby and
we are all glad to share and welcome newcomers.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Dave Marthouse N2AAM