From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:59:01 -0600
While grounding the mast may not do as much for the noise as you would
wish, it will make the antenna perform more like the specs say it
should.

This is because it depends on the grounded mast to partially replace
radials.

I know it's a half wave antenna, but without a ground, you are losing
a lot of rf back down the coax.