From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:22:08 -0500
Changing the length of the coax won't change the SWR seen by the transmitter
by much.  A given SWR can be caused by a whole range of resistance and
reactance values (these values are shown on a circle on a Smith chart and
can be calculated using some trig functions).  But this could explain why
some 5:1 SWR conditions can be tolerated by your transmitter's internal
tuner while other combinations of resistance and reactance that result in a
5:1 SWR make the tuner unhappy.

I just read your message about the AM station, and suspect that it is
messing up your readings, especially for 160.  So SWR readings taken at,
say, 50 watts, will be more accurate than readings taken at 5 watts, because
the AM station will appear to cause some reflected and forward power on your
transmission line whether you are transmitting or not.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls