From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 06:54:59 -0400
I am using a Yaesu  FL-2500, which has 5 6KD6 horizontal output tubes.
Either 900 or 1250 volts on the plates.  It was a cheap amplifier in 1971,
and my brother brought it back from Japan on one of his military trips.  It
is not very efficient, and produces just over 500 watts PEP output into my
CanTenna, according to the TW1 wattmeter.  Must be tuned and loaded for each
band segment, but this is pretty easy to do with the TW1.  I don't have the
ALC connected between the FT950 and the amp, so I turn the drive down until
the amplifier output is near saturation.  It requires 40 to 50 watts of
drive power.

Automatic tune-up is such a nice feature that I don't use the amp for most
of my operating; it's mostly used during contests or during the 40 or
20-meter net.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls