From:
"T. Joseph Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 04:05:25 -0700
I recently read an article on RFI, looking for information on
cleaning RF hash out of switchmode power supplies that were not
manufactured to the specs we would prefer as radio operators.

If our equipment is functioning properly, there should be no RFI on
other devices.  If there is, it's usually the device's fault, not
ours.  The advice given out by the ARRL nowadays is not to admit to a
problem.  If you receive a report of interference, certainly do check
your equipment.

Then check theirs, if they're willing.  Not because you've got an
obligation to fix it, but because it's the neighborly thing to do,
and because any device that detects RFI can potentially emit it under
the wrong circumstances.

The article had lots of specific advice for specific devices and
problems.  Its advice for touch lamps was to throw them away.  ;)
Failing that, add a resistor in series with the lead between the
controller and the touch plate.  If that doesn't solve it, wind
several turns of the lead between the resistor and the socket around
a good ferrite choke.  The ferrite may be enough on its own.  I can
find it again if there's interest in what the resistor value was.

Joseph - KF7QZC