Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:52:41 -0400
Tom,

First, all things being equal, yes it would be better to have a 64-bit
machine.  If you have older peripherals i.e. printer, scanner, you'll want
to go to their website and make sure they have Win 7 drivers particularly
for a 64-bit system.

Second, Windows LIve Mail or Thunderbird email clients work best in Win 7.
There is a registry hack that you can do to make Windows Mail (Vista's
answer to Outlook Express) work in Windows 7 which some people prefer over
the Windows Live Mail.  From what I understand, the latter versions of Live
Mail aren't quite as well behaved as the earlier versions were.

Other than that, the other thing you will get used to and probably
eventually like is the search box in Win 7 when you hit the startbutton.
You can type part of a program or document name and arrow down to see it in
your results.  If you don't see it, you can continue to type in more letters
without having to arrow back up to the search box.  And, of course, you can
pin frequently used items to the startmenu if you'd like.
Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI