From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:18:49 -0700
I am cross posting this to the blind-hams list for info only.  Please look
at his last comment regarding going back to former firm ware versions.  Very
73 all.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX

  _____

From: Rob Stampfli <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, 3 July, 2011, 16:19

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 05:58:03AM -0500, Dick Kriss wrote:
> Kenwood outlined the changes from 1.04 -> 1.05 on the
> web page. The reason I updated mine is based on personal
> experience with design Engineers and FPGA's. FPGA's a
> the designer's best friend for correcting OSIF's and sometimes
> there are un-documented changes. I feed sure Kenwood
> Engineering does not allow un-documented changes but
> designers are people that do not like to admit to errors and
> sometimes use an update for minor tweaks.
>
> I don't understand why someone would not want to keep
> their radio up-to-date using the latest firmware. My rig
> came with 1.02 and is now at 1.05 just like a new one fresh
> out of the box.

Dick, after having spent a career in software/firmware engineering,
I agree with your overall assessment. However, there are also
risks associated with upgrading. There is a slight risk that the
upgrade will introduce a new bug. There is a risk the install
itself may not play well in some radios. Also, someone else in an
earlier thread here mentioned that the Kenwood firmware installer
will not allow you to downgrade to an earlier release. (Can anyone
confirm this? If it is indeed the case, I believe Kenwood has
made a mistake in enforcing such a prohibition.) But, because of
these sorts of risks, I generally avoid putting in an update for
the first week or so in order to allow time for the early adopters,
who act as the guinea pigs, to report their results.

Rob / KD8WK

__._,_.___

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=53323470/grpspId=1705063108/msgI
d=6367/stime=1309709490>

Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KenwoodTS-590/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJndGJpdmxqBF9TA
zk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzUzMzIzNDcwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNzd
G5ncwRzdGltZQMxMzA5NzA5NDkw> settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:[log in to unmask] Delivery: Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:[log in to unmask] Delivery
Format: Fully Featured> to Fully Featured
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KenwoodTS-590;_ylc=X3oDMTJlY3YzcXNvBF9TAzk3ND
c2NTkwBGdycElkAzUzMzIzNDcwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3
RpbWUDMTMwOTcwOTQ5MA--> Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>