From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:31:40 -0600
the hamtenna's are also refered to as ham sticks, but are the MFJ variety.
They're a 4 foot helically wound fiberglass stick with a wound loading coil
at the top, and then you add another four feet of stainless steel whip onto
that...you can move the whip up and down into or out of the coil to adjust
for best SWR.
They're fairly broad banded on 20M and 40M, a bit better than the hussler
type ham sticks which are all metal with a resonator coil.
I get probably a good 200KC's of band width below 2-to-1 SWR on both the 20M
stick and the 40M stick without a tuner.
I haven't tried stacking the resonators yet, but apparently this is possible
to do.  You would end up with a 12 foot stick if you stacked the 20M and 40M
sticks with the stinger on top.
These sticks have the standard and common 3/8's by 24 male threads on the
bottom that can go into any number of mounts.
I've got an all metal balcony railing and I'm on the top floor which means
no roof over the balcony.
I use a so239 to 3/8's by 24 male stud with a 3/8's by 24 lesbian coupler
which is mounted into a heavy duty L bracket, which is then U clamped to one
of the railing up rights.
Both sticks work quite well...I don't use any radials of any kind really.  I
electrically connect the ground side of the feedline to the balcony railing.
The 20M stick works well for dx if propigation is good.
My problem is that I have S6 to S8 of noise on both antennas...last weekend
while i was out camping at a ham fest, I tried the 20M hamstick using a
triple magnet on the roof of a 24FT motor home.  The noise was S0 and it
worked almost exactly the same as the 20M hussler hamstick at the back of
the motor home.  Neither had any ground radials of any kind.  the RV wasn't
grounded either.

The tram dual band VHF UHF antenna is a typical 8.5FT tall 5/8's over 5/8
co-liniar bass antenna.  I don't have the ground plains attached because
again, the metal balcony raile gives the antenna enough of a ground plain to
work with.
The mount is a bit more involved, but essentially I got creative with a
piece of aluminum square channel the same thickness as the balcony up
rights.  With some U clamps and spacer washers, I was able to mount the
bottom mounting tube of the antenna to the square channel, and clamp the
square channel to the balcony.

does all that make sence?

I'll write another note to the list about my recent ham radio weekend and
the various antennas we put up and the results we got.

73
Colin, V A6BKX