From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 23:38:52 -0400
Collins and some other manufacturers at one time tried to establish a
standard where S9 would be 50 microvolts, and each S unit below that level
would be 6 dB lower.  But the number of dB per S unit has varied over the
years.  On my FT-950, and probably on your FT-450, each change by one S unit
is 3 dB, which isn't a lot.  Even the 6 dB change you are describing is only
going to be audible with the RF gain partway down, so that the AGC doesn't
level out the signals.  In that condition, the S meter will read higher than
the real signal strength, so you can't really take readings and listen to
the signal without AGC at the same time.

You wouldn't want a 950 for the roofing filter.  You would want it for some
of its other characteristics, such as more choices of receiver bandwidth.

Lately I have been setting my 950's power output by having the "custom
settings" button adjusted for power output.  In other words, I can always go
to that item in the menus and then adjust the power level using the VFO B
knob.  Four revolutions of the knob are required to go from 100 watts down
to 5.  I drive my linear with about 40 watts.  I think that I could adjust
power with HRD and Window-Eyes, but I need to experiment with this again and
let you know if I succeed.

If I was starting over with a little more money I might get a TS-590 or
FTDX-5000, mostly because of their better receivers.  But I haven't touched
either of those rigs and am not sure about the ergonomics.
And that's tonight's column!
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls