From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 07:33:55 -0400
Hi Tom,

The power source of your station is irrelevant to how you identify it. Actually, there's no legal requirement that you give anything beyond your callsign. However, and this seems to confuse people for some reason, "Portable" means at a specific location other than your usual station location, i.e. away from home. "Mobile" means in motion, or at an unspecified stop while in motion. For instance, sitting inthe gas station parking lot would still be mobile if you were planning to start moving again right directly and not staying a while. "Portable" does not mean "using a handheld radio", and "Mobile" does not necessarily man "in your car", although it can of course.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY