From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:44:33 -0400
Hi Group,

I couldn't resist in chiming in here.  I and a few blind friends used to use
code of a sort.  For laughs and giggles, we used to get on a local repeater
and communicate in 'Braille' code.  Yes that's right; 'Braille code.'  When
we knew a bunch of folks could be listening and when the repeater was not in
use, we would get on the repeater and say to one another: 'OK switch to
Braille Mode.'  Then we would key up and start reciting messages in
'Braille' code by giving cell dot positions as in:
<un-key>'
[which being interpreted is simply: 'Hi Joe What's up?']

Boy that would drive some folks nuts.  Now every 5 minutes or so we would
identify normally.  People used to ask us what we were doing and we said we
were using code.  They said 'that's not International Morse Code and it's
illegal' to which we would say 'no it's not a secret code; it's Braille
code. and we announce it as such'    We did that just a few times--since
there were a bunch of old crotch breaths that used to ramble on about how
evil things had gotten since they reduced (and then eliminated later) the
code requirements and all those no good CB-ers were now on 2 meters.

Actually, there was nothing illegal at all with what we were doing--since
the FCC rules state that only secret codes were impermissible.  I wonder if
the old farts ever got the message that we were simply spoofing them; they
wanted code so we gave them code--a standard non-secret recognizable
code--that if anyone cared to look up the meaning, they could have recorded
it and played it back and with reasonable ease could have deciphered it.