From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:16:45 -0600
I wonder if that removing the light bulb thing to reduce drift had anything
to do with the fact that those light bulbs are located right above some of
the tuning slugs?
Heat might cause those to drift all over the place.
I had a Swan 270B for a few years.  It was before I was a licensed ham so I
never got it on the air.  I did get it tuned to the 11M band though....and I
didn't have a tw1 when I had the radio, so I had no way of tuning the output
on my own.
But, I always just tuned for loudest noise floor and it worked fine.
the band switch got a little difficult to use near the end...I suppose some
deoxit would have fixed that up too.
Neat little radio though...and when I say little, it was smaller than most
modern HF rigs.
I think they were actually sold, or marketted, as mobile radios.  I'm pretty
sure the block on the back had some pins for 13.8VDC input.
73
Colin, V A6BKX