From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:24:18 -0500
I was the primary control operator for one of our radio club repeaters
for about 6 years.

I kept one old crystal controlled radio parked on that repeater.

At one point during that time, I was part of a team of repeater
operators who gathered evidence of bootleg, or unlicensed activity, by
a local individual. Just as the FCC was about to pounce on the guy,
other authorities hauled him in for arson, thus separating him from
his stolen rig for quite a few years.

Fortunately, in my area at least, that type of thing doesn't happen
often.

Now, I am a secondary control op for two repeaters in our area.

That basically means that I monitor those machines, and apply
appropriate control codes when necessary.

Usually, that only means assisting someone if they need help bringing
up a link, making sure the link is dropped after a certain time of
inactivity, notifying the owners of problems or equipment failures,
etc.

Owning a repeater as an individual can be a bit expensive, especially
if you have to pay for antenna maintenance, which now days usually
means by bonded and certified tower crews, etc.

I've never taken the ownership plunge, but I came close to doing so
when I was living in my home town in the mid 1980s.

The installation economics caused me to back off on that project.

I could have put it on from my house, but I was aiming for a location
with enough range to expand normal simplex coverage in my area.