From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:04:43 -0330
Hi All:

Well the research continues. I was a little concerned that 800 would be a little much to plank down on what could turn out to be nothing more than a 43 foot post in the ground with radials! LOL
However, I've come to find out that each vertical I looked at has its followings and has its slandorers.
Take the Gap Titan.  I've heard that it wasn't a good vertical yet I was surprised to find out it was used on the CY0 expedition.
The S9s, this guy makes a crack at DX Engineering's use of antiseez for the hardware used and the Penatrox, used between the tubing joints, to insure electrical connectivity.
Now, the S9 43 footer, is simply some fiberglass tubing with a wire inside. So is this antenna simply just a vertical dipole that's 43 feet tall? Its sounds like it.
The DX Engineering thunder bolt, was used in the Antarctic, So that must mean that's its pretty strong and decent to make contacts from there to North America. Ant Arctica is a pretty good hall from OH. LOL
The S9 has a 5.0 rating out of 15 reviewers on eham. The Thunder Bolt, 4.6 with 19 reviewers. The Butternut 9V and Hussler 6BTV all have hi ratings with more than 50 reviewers and I know a guy personally who has a Butternut and has had allot of problems with it. He's currently trying to unload it.
So I think the best thing is to just shoot for what I think will be a good overall choice that fits my criteria and go for it.
The Thunder Bolt is a little expensive but I don't think I really need to buy a radial plate and bolts. Can buy the wire here locally and considering I'll be using a Stainless steel mounting pipe, cut off the wire to the length of my radials and solder everything to the mounting pipe.
The Thunder Bolt with Unon package sells for 259.95USD and I could get the wire and ring terminals locally for 140 taxes include. To get the T B delivered to my door, about 350. Wire and terminals, 140. allow 50 for misc, solder, iron and the like. Total cost of my projected system, 540CAN. I don't think that's too bad.  Lets also take into consideration that it would be movable should my XYL and I move to a house and I wouldn't have to bother club members to help me with raising and lowering to titan a simple clamp, could do it my self.
My XYL is also pretty handy with ham gear when given the manual! LOL

73:

Michael De VO1RYN