From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 06:44:55 -0500
To a point you're right.  The government kept saying after Betsy hit in 1965
that to build a levy that would protect us against a category five hurricane
would be too costly.  Well, we got the weaker side of one in 2005, and we
weren't even directly hit by it.  It was the levy breaks that caused most of
the problem.  Now, put the cost of building a levy system that would protect
us against a category five storm against the reconstruction and benefits
that had to be paid out and see what you get.  It would have been much more
cost effective in the long run to build that stronger levy system.

But if they aren't going to give us even cost of living adjustments, at
least eliminate the earnings test so that more of us could go to work and
pay taxes without fear of losing our benefits and insurance coverage which
most blind people can't afford on their salaries.  But that won't happen
until we have organizations that get back to the business of advocacy and
out of the business of fattening their bank accounts and egos with
government money and needless buildings.
Harvey