From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:02:37 -0700
there is a controversy about putting in red light cameras?
Pretty much every major canadian city has those and has for quite a while.
Yes, it's a cash cow for the city, but it also does curb people running red
lights on purpose.
The fines here exceed $100 for the first offense, and double with each
subsequent picture taken.
When you could potentially be paying hundreds for running a red light, and
then not be able to get insurance or register your vehicle until you pay
that, it tends to work well.
People will still run red lights, sometimes by accident, and there will also
be the rebels in society with deep pockets and a lack of interest in their
fellow drivers or pedestrians.
We have speed cameras at intersections as well.
They are all a great idea.  Photo radar is also a great thing...hit drivers
in their pockets and they'll tend to obey the law more quickly than if you
try to have the law enforced by police departments with stretched resources.
Our region employs separate contracters for the photo radar and then it
doesn't take up the police resources.
73
Colin, V A6BKX