Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2011 17:52:15 -0400
7bit
From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
I have an IC-27H, it's a backup radio which is actually in the EOC I
volunteer at because it's better than the junk alincos they stuck us with
though it sounds like we're getting newer better radios finally, commercial
I hope. Anyway, I got it for $40 on ebay 11 years ago and it's done it all
from special event communications when it traveled in my go kit, packet,
mobile, I lost the high power module in it a few years ago but other than
that I can't kill it. All the high power module does is get it from 25 to 50
watts so now high power is only 25 watts, and that thing keeps going and
going I can't believe it, it's also been dropped in the driveway when I was
putting it mobile, was mobile it's whole life before I got it, it's not
pretty but seriously I can't kill it. It's had very little down time, it's a
workhorse. I even loaned it to someone for 6 months and he wasn't easy on it
either. I'd doubt much if any of today's ham radio gear could stand up to
that, I know this was bought in 1984 originally, I was given the sales slip
when I bought it. I wouldn't be in a hurry to retire them just yet unless
you just want something newer to play with and even then, hang on to them
for backups. I seldom get on 2 meters though now that my main reason for
getting off has been eliminated, in part due to me, on one of the repeaters
for one club I belong to I'm back on a bit more than I was but only on the
club repeaters I have something to do with, and my call goes out first, on
900 MHz if I want someone local.
BTW, if anyone reading is interested, I still have a few 900 MHz handhelds
available. The best there are for the band.