From:
Colleen Roethe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 21:55:51 -0400

thanks for all the help. I am biopsy diagnosed and follow the gf very strictly all of the other celiac tests and a follow up biopsy this year were normal. I have been gf for 11 yrs..

http://www.aruplab.com/guides/ug/tests/0050564.jsp says it's a useful test to distinguish between Crohn's Disease & ulcerative colitis...
The most definitive test for Crohn's is when both the IgA AND IgG antibodies are elevated.

According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-saccharomyces_cerevisiae_antibodies , S. Cerevisiae antibodies are produced in response to a mannan, a substance in the cell walls of yeast. It's been noted in those with celiac as well as Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, and other GI disease.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae IgG antibodies are found in 60-70% of Crohn disease (CD) patients and 10-15% of ulcerative colitis (UC) patients.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae IgA antibodies are found in about 35% of Crohn disease (CD) patients but less than 1% in ulcerative colitis patients.

Detection of both Saccharomyces IgG and IgA antibodies in the same serum specimen is highly specific for Crohn disease (CD).

These tests may be a useful tool for distinguishing ulcerative colitis (UC) from Crohn disease (CD) in patients with suspected inflammatory bowel disease.
Never heard of it, but as a chemist I can tell you that it is so
slightly above the top of the range that BY ITSELF it is not very
indicative of anything.

http://www.aruplab.com/guides/ug/tests/0050564.jsp

Check out this site.  It explains what S Cerevisiae AB, IgG is used for.  It
states that IgG and IgA usually are for CD - otherwise could be colitis or
crohn's.  Since you have CD, I'm assuming that is what this would be for,
unless you are having other symptoms.  I wouldn't think the antibodies would
be positive unless you have been ingesting gluten.