From:
Nancy Uding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Uding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:53:11 -0800

Hi everyone,
As always, you guys came through!!

I summarized the list of brand names of gf enchilada sauce people sent me, copied a link to a product list, a link to a recipe, and two recipes.

The brand I've been using from the PCC in Seattle is Sweet Creek Organic.  I did a little price checking, 16 oz. of Sweet Creek costs $5.25 and I need two jars for a batch that feeds 4 people for two nights.  28 oz. cans of La Victoria and El Pato were $2.79 and $2.99 respectively.

Someone did respond and told me that I should boycott products labelled gluten free.  Not really sure where that was coming from.  There probably is some price-gouging going on with gluten free products, but exercises such as this show we have a way around this.  I happen to be absolutely delighted at the explosion of gf products on the market, as I started this over 12 years ago with my daughter when there wasn't much out there and I spent years chained to the stove.  Splurging once in a while on a gf product that I don't have to make myself qualifies (to me) as absolute bliss.  (I do, however, really appreciate the recipes that some of you sent and will undoubtedly try them!! )

Nancy

Gluten free commercially available enchilada sauces are listed below - **PLEASE NOTE** I have not confirmed these with the manufacturers:
La Victoria brand
McCormick's Enchilada Sauce Mix (in a package)
El Pato
Las Palmas
Hatch Select Enchilada Sauce
Frontera Kitchens
Kroger Brand
Old El Paso
Hy-Vee Mild Enchilada Sauce
Safeway Select

Link to product list:
http://www.glutenfreeinsd.com/sauces_salsas_marinades.html

Here is a link to a recipe:
http://www.gfzing.com/2005/quick-gluten-free-red-enchilada-sauce/

______________________________________
"I have a great recipe for one that is made from scratch and it is very
simple to make. I got the recipe in the cookbook, "The Gluten-Free
Vegetarian Kitchen" by Donna Klein. It is simple and better than the
store-bought brands. You might want to give this a try.

Quick Enchilada Sauce

2 C gluten-free vegetable broth (I am sure you could use chicken, as well)
3 T gluten-free chili powder
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t onion powder
1/8 t garlic powder
1 1/2 T cornstarch, dissolved in 3 T water

In a small saucepan, bring all the ingredients, except the cornstarch
mixture, to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and
boil for one minute. whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and serve
warm.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups."
______________________________

"Give it a try. It has become one of my favorites.
1 cup beef broth (add extra bouillon if you like it beefier)
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 T paprika
1 t cumin
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

And here's a really easy one for green sauce
3 little cans chili peppers, sliced
12 oz. chicken broth
simmer for five minutes, then taste for spices and seasoning balance

tastes really good on chicken enchiladas. Here's a yummy filling option:

1 pkg cream cheese
1 pound ground chicken (not breast)
2 onions, caramelized
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together the above three ingredients in same skillet as onions are caramelized. Delicious!"