BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:16:12 -0400
Ahhhh, a fellow traveler with the "roofing blues."  Ruth

At 8:18 PM -0400 6/13/11, [log in to unmask] wrote:

In a message dated 6/13/2011 2:16:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Ralph-
When I was still in NJ, we replaced the shake roof on the c. 1740
building that I worked in. I consulted with a bunch of very
knowledgable roofers at the time. Our roof was 20 years old, and
failing. A number of the roofers said that you could expect a shake
roof to last for 50 years with decent maintenance that sounds very
optimistic to me, but MAYBE if you had people working from cherry pickers
cleaning it weekly with toothbrushes...-- ours failed so quickly because
they had only installed about 1/2 the number of shingle
per square foot than should have been installed. I nevah hoid a installing
half the number of necessary shingles, and don't understand how that could
happen without  causing immediate and catastrophic failure, all of which
makes me suspicious of your sources. A cautionary tale indeed.

In any case... the roofing brain trust that I consulted gave pretty
much the same advice that Ken did for moss growth: Use a solution of
what was essentially Round-up or bleach to kill the growth, and wash
with water. May need to repeat for maintenanceif the moss is heavy, but
probably worth it since the roof could potentially have another 25
years of life-span. This roof doesn't look good to me, from grade level, at
least: losses of shingles, cupping and moss.

my .02 Thank you for it, and I hope this finds you well.

-Heidi  Ralph

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT