From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2011 20:37:23 -0600
what kind of car is it?
most vehicles made in the past 10 to 15 years don't have much room, or at
least, easy access, under the dash to mount anything.
Usually they have some kind of molded console which prevents any
tradditional type mounting under the dash.  Dash top, visor, or roof console
mounting of control heads has become the only availible option for most
vehicles.
And, there is usually a passenger side dash airbag that prevents a passenger
operator like most of us, from mounting anything on the dash in front of the
passenger seat.
However, depending on the make and model of the vehicle, there are after
market center consoles made specifically for radio gear to be mounted
anywhere from 1 unit, to around 6 or 7 radios depending on your
requirements.
Of course, it's an extra couple hundred bucks for these that is usually ear
marked for maintenance and other necesities lol.
I've got my scanner, and kenwood TH F6A clipped to the passenger sun visor
with their belt clips, and that seems to work well at this point.  A speaker
mike for the HT, and a good speaker velcroed to the dash close to where the
wind shield meets the dash makes it more or less a decent mobile radio,
except for the limited 5W output.
And a dual band amp could fix that quickly enough.
As for HF, well, a control head like on the IC7000, or IC706 could be placed
in several excellent locations around the front cabin area.
A customized antenna mount off the back bumper, or half way up the body off
the rear brake light mount area is also availible in my vehicle.

73
Colin, V A6BKX