From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:06:34 -0700
well the prediction of the big solar flaire in 2012 isn't in anyway related
to the mayan prediction that something major will occur on Dec. 21 2012.
people put them together because there is so much garbage being promolgated
about the end of the world in 2012 that they just lump it all in together.
all that said, there seems to be some scientific leaning towards some major
event either on earth, or in space, that will occur during the year of 2012.
Part of this could be the big solar flaire, or could be something else.
As was said before, just remember Y2K.
there was real concern that our way of life as we know it would end or be
severely compremised at midnight on Dec. 31 1999.
As we all know, very little actually occured.  There was some fall out in
the IT world, but all that did was made some forward thinking companies
allot of money restoring and updating systems.
What many people don't know, is that when the GST rate changes in canada,
there is almost as much fall out for financial software as there was for
Y2K.  Or when Canada aligned it's daylight silly time with the United states
time change a few years ago...that threw a bunch of systems off and they had
to be updated and reprogrammed at great cost...there was an estimate of how
many millions that small change cost...I don't now remember what the figure
was, but it was staggering.

As for the solar flaire prediction, one guy on a NASA TV segment put it
well.
The interviewer asked this guy why the US government wasn't doing anything
about it.  He said, if you new that something was coming, but that you
didn't have enough resources or didn't have the ability to do anything about
it, would you warn people?  as a government, would you warn people and cause
a panic, or would you let it happen, and do your best to try and minimize
the fallout?

Personally, I believe there will be a solar flaire that very well might
knock out power grids and other systems for a time.
A few good batteries, solar panels and so on are on my list of things to
aquire in the next few years so that if this does happen, I'll at least be
able to get on the air and know what's going on or assist in emergency
efforts.
73
Colin, V A6BKX