From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:23:02 -0700
welcome Darren:
as for the mag mount damaging a vehicles paint, usually this doesn't happen.
The magnet has a protective covering on the bottom that prevents it from
scratching or denting the vehicle.
The magnet is strong, so the antenna won't flop over in the wind while your
going down the highway at 75MPH, but they are usually easy to take off.
Usually I just grab the bass of the antenna and pull it side ways to detach
the magnet.  You can't usually pull straight up unless you've got lots of
arm strength.

I would recommend a 5/8's dual bander antenna.  They are a little bigger
yes, but they are also probably one of the best mobile antennas to have.
They've got gain, and good angle of radiation for mobile applications.
You can get away with a quarter wave if you want, but you'll find they
aren't as good as a 5/8's wave antenna.

As for a bass antenna for your house, look into the 5/8's over 5/8's, or
tripple 5/8's bass antennas.  these work extremely good and out perform a J
poll or other vertical bass antenna.
They're usually dual band as well.  The double 5/8's are about 8.5 feet
long, and the tripple 5/8's is around 17 feet long.

regards
Colin