From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:52:07 -0500
Richard,

I have an Icom AT500, which is probably about twenty years old but it does
the job.  The thing I like most about it is that it has motor-driven
variable capacitors instead of the switched fixed capacitors typically used
today.  The disadvantage is that it has no provisions for the 60 meter band,
but right now that isn't a huge deal for me because my antenna doesn't play
there anyway.

I've heard good things about LDG's AT1000, but I have no personal experience
with it, and I understand it's pretty pricey if you buy it new (around
$1000).  I also understand that Palstar made an auto tuner (now
discontinued), but you might be able to find one used if you look around.
Again, no personal experience with the Palstar, but I've heard it's very
good.

Steve