BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:04:24 -0500
From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
OK, now I know this is the place referenced in the following article.

Somebody asked where I get my news articles.  These are coming from a
small, four page weekly out of Ludlow, VT.  There is more news in these 4
pages than in any newspaper I read today.  One whole page is devoted to
columns of items sent in by folks in all the surrounding towns, villages,
hamlets in the area.  ie:  Mrs. Jones visited Mrs. Smith Tuesday afternoon,
etc.  Each town, village having its own heading.  These are what I am
primarily interested in as I transcribe them and send to a VT genealogy
list.  However, I look over the rest of the paper to see what's of
interest.  Thought you all might find this one interesting.

The Vermont Tribune, Ludlow, Friday, August 7, 1885

Nine workmen on the new aqueduct near High Bridge, N. Y., got into the
bucket, Friday to go to the top if the shaft for their dinner.  The shaft
is 175 feet deep.  When a third of the way up the edge of the bucket caught
in a projecting rock and four of the men were thrown out.  Two of them
clung to the outside of the bucket, but the other two fell to the bottom of
the shaft.  William CUNNINGHAM and Timothy HARRINGTON were instantly
killed.  John CARR and William REGAN, who grasped the bucket, were probably
fatally injured.

So be careful if you all go there to work.

At 12:04 AM -0500 2/11/10, Hammarberg, Eric wrote:
Šyes a city park and the huge historic Croton Aqueduct crosses the Harlem
River. A few of us Pinheads chased a major project there last year,
would've been great fun!

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT