From:
Sarah Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:51:13 -0600

I received 3 responses (find below) to my question of where to eat on
the Big Island, and 4 requests to a summary.  It seems several of us
will be enjoying this island this winter.  If I have more info when I
return I will send it on.
Sarah

We spent time on the Big Island last spring but we stayed in Hilo.
Great farmer's market plus wonderful health food store. We did travel
all over the island, however, and found good health food stores in
Kona (don't remember name, sorry!) on the main highway from north to
south. They had a deli bar with hot and cold foods and everything was
labeled. Plus they had the best lime aide that I ever had!

We stayed in a condo near Kona last time we visited the big island and
did a huge portion of our shopping at the Costco near Kona. Costco has
all sorts of safe options.

We spent several days on the Big Island last summer--in Kona and Hilo
and parts in between--and had no problems finding GF food. One
restaurant in Kona even had a GF menu! (I wish I could remember the
name but it was right across from the Kailua Pier and had these great
"fish gargoyles" as downspouts.) Fresh fish is generally safe, but do
watch out for the rice as they add soy sauce to it a lot. We picnicked
as well, especially as we traveled across the island and visited
Volcano National Park, and found luncheon meats/cheese, fresh or dried
fruit, chips, etc. in regular grocery stores. We took a collapsable
thermal bag (you know, like those you might use for cold groceries)
with us, but also bought a cheap styrofoam one to load up with our
cold food and drinks. We used ice from the hotels.  For those hikes,
you may want to pack some GF energy bars in your suitcase in case you
can't find them easily. We also packed GF cookies so our son had a
sweet treat once in a while. (Hawaiian ice is GF!)  He didn't get sick
at all so I think you'll find it easy to eat. Have fun!