From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:01:28 -0500

> When the girl gave me my shake, I said it looked different (smaller, for =
> sure!) and specifically asked the manager (standing right there), if the =
> shake (plain vanilla, I skipped the whipped cream and cherry), is the =
> same as before or if it's a new product. She (without cracking a hint of =
> a smile or courtesy) said that it is definitely the same.
>

> But, it turns out...they changed the ingredients. It used to have =
> artificial vanilla extract...not a problem, because it's a distilled, =
> alcohol ingredient. That's gone. Now, they use "Natural flavoring from a =
> plant source."  The guy could not tell me what plant, and presumably, it =
could change at will.

According to the ingredient listings at McDonald's, this is not right.

The artificial vanilla in fact remains in the vanilla shake itself and the natural flavoring from plant source is in the cherry. So if the author skipped the cherry, there was no natural flavoring. Even with the natural flavoring, the product does NOT list wheat as an ingredient and the odds that barley is part of the natural flavor are exceedingly slim. Personally, I've yet to find a maraschino cherry or a whipped cream that has gluten. Still, without the whipped cream or cherry there seems to be no doubt at all that the vanilla shake is GF.

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream:
Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

Richard

*******
*******