From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:30:24 -0600

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I am still fighting the dizziness in the
back of my head and drinking plenty of fluids.  It has been over a week now
that I ate something with gluten in it.  Stomach issues have gotten better,
but brain fog and dizziness are still a problem as well as fatigue.  I have
not had a chance to go shopping (snow storm here and bitterly cold temps) to
try any of the suggestions below.  Many people asked for a summary and I
didn't want to delay in getting it posted.   Rita

Brain Fog  - Curcumin is great for that. Google it and you'll find a bunch
of information about how curcumin decreases inflammation in the brain.
ApexEnergetics has a product called NeuroFlam which you can buy online. It's
not cheap but it is supposed to be very good.

Nux Vomica homeopathic medicine.

Brain fog like you describe has always been my major symptom of celiac
disease and gluten contamination since diagnosis, along with the regular
digestive issues.  Lately, there is a lot more curiosity and investigation
of the various neurological manifestations of celiac disease, but I don't
think they clearly understand the mechanism that causes them. My guess is
that, since these symptoms are also evident in other autoimmune diseases
that it could be a result of the immune system being revved up and either
attacking brain tissue or producing something that is deleterious to brain
function.  It isn't just an upset stomach that's scary about gluten
contamination, it's the unknown damage done when the immune system gets
revved up. I believe it was Dr. Joseph Murray who once said that, for a
celiac patient, eating at a restaurant is akin to playing Russian roulette
with your health. I doubt there will ever be enough education and awareness
out there to make it really safe for us to eat out. I don't know, perhaps
it's too much to expect.  My remedy is lots of rest to let my body recover,
extra fluids and eating easily digested fluids.

I'm sure you're gonna get a ton of responses to this, but try Benadryl.  For
whatever reason, it helps to mitigate the symptoms.

Drink plenty of water initially.

When I was diagnosed I had fatigue and foggy brain, short term memory loss.
I think I had celiac disease for 20 years before diagnosis (symptoms weren't
bad until the osteoporosis set in.)  I got a good book on nutrition by Balch
and followed their recommendations for supplementation.  I think L
Glutamine, DMAE, ginko biloba have been particularly good for the brain.
Foggy brain is something that is not erased overnight.

Try taking pepto bismol for 2 days, right before you eat.  It has something
in it like aspirin which will settle down the inflammation in the digestive
tract.  This may well help in other areas too.  Of course, don't do this if
you are allergic to aspirin.

I have no 100 percent solution to your problem because I've experienced the
same issue.  The only thing that helps me a little bit is to increase
exercising and get that blood moving.  Drink lots of water.

Hate to tell you this but other than letting it pass on its own. Hot black
coffee or very dark tea and a couple of aspirin, always helped a bit, but
there's little you can do. I started taking a probiotic about a month ago
(Culturelle brand) and it seems to help settle my stomach more quickly and,
in general, I do feel a lot better all around.

One of the things I use after being glutened is activated charcoal.  I get
the best results when I take it ASAP after being glutened, but I think it
would still be helpful many days afterwards as well.  I'm very sensitive to
gluten & have had to find remedies to get back on track, fast.  Fog is
always an issue for me too when glutened.  If you get activated charcoal
capsules - most seem to be in the 250 mg per capsule range - I'd take at
least 4-6 & repeat several times, if needed.  If you have powder, I usually
take about 1 tablespoon.  It depends upon how bad I feel.  Also, I've found
if I stay well hydrated - drink tons of water, along with herbal teas such
as chamomile & mint, it seems to help flush my body out, if that makes
sense.  If you're prone to constipation, this is esp. important after being
glutened & when taking AC.

*******
*******