Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:22:11 -0800
Rick Fogel wrote:

> I think i blew it this time. here goes.I bought a floppy drive used at a
> computer show.I am rather stupid so i thought i needed a card to hook to so
> i bought a card marked ide card used. Now i put the card in an isa slot and
> the floppy in a bay. then i hooked the floppy to the card and the power .
> Nothing, so now i realize i do not need the card so took it out and hooked
> this floppy to the ribbon from the A drive. Next i went to the bios and
> enabled B drive .Still nothing but now i realize i can not even read A
> drive. Next i took out the B drive floppy and set it all back to original.
> Still no A drive , it says it is unable to read Adrive. Did i ruin the A
> drive? I really need help as i would like to at least get A drive working
> and really would love to have both working. If i learn from my mistakes i
> should soon be very smart!!! I am a novice and am try to all my own work
> with the help of this group.
>                                                   Thanks,
>                                          Rick Fogel

Hi Rick:From what you have written above here is what I would do.
1. Go get another 1.44 floppy drive and connect it to the motherboard with pin1
to pin1 on the floppy
    ribbon cable. ( side with the red stripe) Make sure that the new drive is
tested and good before buying.
2. Now go into the bios and enable drive a. Save changes,exit and reboot.When
the system is scrolling
   through the post look and see if it recognizes the 1.44 floppy drive. If not
then start troubleshooting
   by swapping the ribbon cable with another known good one. If this fails to
remedy said prob then
   take your system to a qualified and experienced tech. And by the way make
sure that you wear an
   anti-static wrist band and are properly grounded before you start adding and
removing system devices.
    Electro-static is a real mobo killer!.

Hope this helps

--