Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:09:53 -0700
Paul wrote:

> Further on to Dean's post, I've noticed that my Comcast fiber cable internet connection runs at 10 mbs
> while my home network (ethernet) is running at Gbps (or so the system tray icons indicate when I float
> my mouse over them).

  Common Ethernet speeds are 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1 Gbps -- often
called 1000 Mbps; in big LAN backbones, 10 Gbps is getting common and a
40 Gbps standard was recently ratified.

  I expect that your Comcast service actually provides something less
than 10 Mbps -- possibly a LOT less.  But the slowest standard Ethernet
speed is 10 Mbps, so that's what the connection between your computer
and your cable modem uses.  The cable modem buffers data inbound and
outbound to accomodate the difference between the Ethernet side and the
cable side.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml