From:
"Hachmeyer, Mr. Paul S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 09:23:36 -0400
Motherboards frequently shut down as you describe due to cpu overheating.  The cpu cooler fan must have heat conducting paste applied.  Mine shut down in about 5 seconds without paste.  If you have applied paste already, I would start by removing all plug in cards (PCI cards, etc.), all but 1 memory chip, disconnect all cd, dvd, floppy drives, secondary hard drives.  If the video is not on the motherboard, remove the video card as well.  I think the computer should boot without a monitor, video card, or even a hard drive.  Then try to reboot.  You will be able to see if the power stays on, and if it does, you can power down and add the video.  Add back one component at a time to see which component might be bad.  If power doesn't stay on, try a different memory chip.  After that, you have to question the new motherboard, power supply, and cpu.    New doesn't always mean it's working properly.
Paul Hachmeyer